Karen Alvarez ’16 Senior Profile: French and Francophone Studies

alvarezOne of the best experiences of my life was studying abroad. I was fortunate enough to study at Science Po Lille where they were so welcoming. Lille became my home away from home. While I have studied French since the 7th grade my French exponentially improved during the six months as I took French classes in France. Through study abroad I was able to travel to make friends and connections from a myriad of countries. I now have a better view on the world and other cultures that will serve me well as I hope to work in diverse school environments.

Two of my favorite classes at William and Mary were taught by Magali Compan. She challenged me to work hard and I can honestly say my writing improved thanks to her class. I loved learning about the problems faced by francophone areas all around the world. Another amazing class opportunity I had was to do an independent study. This semester I was able to work on French graphic novels. Graphic novels have always been my favorite medium so when Michael Leruth suggested I look at Raid Sattouf I was excited to channel my love for graphic novels and further my knowledge on the French and Francophone world.

As far as post graduate plans go, I plan to move to Boston, Massachusetts and attend Northeastern University in the fall. I am going to be pursing a masters in science for Applied Educational Psychology and a certification in school psychology. I am excited to use what I learned at William and Mary as well as my language skills to be able to reach out to people of different cultures and backgrounds.

About Mike Blum

Mike is the Academic Technologist for the Humanities at the College

webmaster help